Did you know that over 30% of fresh produce grown in the world goes to waste and never reaches consumers?
At Hazel Technologies, Inc., we think this waste is unacceptable. We are a USDA-funded startup company that is reducing the huge amounts of waste in our global food supply chain every day. Our work has been featured in TechCrunch, the Chicago Tribune, and Crain’s Chicago Business, and we need your help to expand our impact!
Hazel Technologies is searching for an experienced controller to undertake all aspects of financial management, including corporate accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, budget and forecasts preparation, as well as development of internal control policies and procedures. Finance controller responsibilities will also include financial risk management. Candidates must have at least seven years of relevant experience in various levels of accounting and a bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- Get in on the ground floor. You will become an early team member at one of the fastest growing startups in Ag-Tech, according to American Inno’s “Top Green Tech Startups to Watch”
- Create an impact. Solve the problems of tomorrow: you will be helping to save food every day that would have gone to waste. Hazel Tech has received the prestigious USDA Phase II SBIR Grant, $600,000 in federal funding given only to the most impactful technologies in the future of the agricultural industry.
- Learn what it takes. You will hone your business and operations skills, learning directly from Hazel Tech executives,co-founders, and advisors every day. “Hazel’s technology has the potential to make a real impact on a massive scale,” - S2G Ventures, Venture Capital Firm started by OpenTable Founder, Chuck Templeton, lead investor in Hazel Tech.
- Manage and monitor all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems to ensure compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements as well as the requirements of private contributions, loans, and government contracts.
- Lead the preparation and execution of monthly and quarterly accounting closing process.
- Ensure timely and accurate completion of financial statements as requested. Lead year-end financial audits as requested with external auditing firm. Oversee all accounting operations and standardize internal policies for accounting related processes including including Billing, A/R, A/P, general ledger, cost accounting, inventory accounting, reimbursements, and revenue recognition. Lead the monthly reconciliation process.
- Develop and maintain internal control safeguards for the receipt of revenue, costs, and operational budgets and actual expenditures.
- Implement consistent accounting policies, practices, and procedures across all programs, upholding federal, state, and local legal standards by remaining knowledgeable about exiting, new, and future legislation.
- Monitor cash accounts and cash position, plan for cash influx and disbursements. Provide periodic analyses to leadership on cash management.
- Manage fixed asset program to properly account for capital expenditures and depreciation.
- Assist with establishing financial and operating benchmarks, budgets, program monitoring, and reporting standards.
- Oversee and support accounting team with dynamic leadership that creates an environment of trust and productivity
- Achieve budget objectives by scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances, and initiating corrective actions.
- Provide status of company and competitive financial conditions by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
- Prepare reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends as directed.
- Conduct internal financial audits as necessary.
- Manage internal accounting and finance personnel as requested. Train employees as requested.
- Assist with grant budgeting and grant administration.
- Administer and properly file of R&D tax credit. Handle all payroll tax related matters and assist with administration of payments and compliance with related employee benefits such as healthcare and 401K.
- Resolution of tax related matters.
- Interface with external accounting firm in furtherance of these responsibilities.
- Protect internal data and intellectual property by keeping financial information and plans confidential.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- 7+ years proven accounting experience
- Professional accounting certification, including CMA, CPA, CGA, or CA
- Working knowledge of finance law and regulatory standards (GAAP)
- Strong understanding of economic and banking processes
- CPA or CMA preferred
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures
- Fluency in accrual method accounting
- Experience with creating financial statements
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year end close process
- Excellent accounting software user and administration skills
- Expert in working with Excel and Quickbooks
- Knowledgeable about managing processes, developing standards, auditing, accounting, corporate finance, tracking budget expenses and developing budgets
- Deadline and detail oriented
HOW TO APPLY
Send email to email@example.com
Subject line Controller
Please attach CV or resume and short intro, (no cover letter necessary).